Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oh, just a couple of Birchbox Reviews

So, since it's been a few months since I started my subscription to Birchbox, and I've failed miserably on the review front...I though I'd throw you a twofer today. Actually...I would be doing you a threefer, but my January box (my FAVORITE box!) has been temporarily misplaced in the move.

For those of you who DON'T know (and have been living under a rock) Birchbox is a subscription service to receive beauty product samples in the mail. The cost each month is $10 and you receive a box with about 5 deluxe samples of the latest beauty products. Sometimes, you'll even receive full size samples of awesome items. In my January box, I received a full size Stila eyeliner worth about $25!

You may have read in my November review, my first box was kind of a disappointment. I was really reluctant to get excited after that. But, it seems like the first box is just a stock box that sucks for everyone. My subsequent boxes have been much better.


Let's move on it, shall we?


DECEMBER BIRCHBOX REVIEW:



(sorry about the image quality...I took the picture with my phone and emailed it to myself. Much too lazy today to get out the good camera and mess with memory cards and such. Next time...)


Benefit Cosmetics "The POREfessional": This is an amazing primer. It has a slight tint to it which sort of evens out your skin tone when you apply it. Not so much that it takes the place of foundation or a tinted moisturizer, but it does make your face look poreless. It applies like liquid velvet and doesn't feel sticky or heavy. I absolutely love this stuff. The sample I got was about .25 fluid ounces, but it really only takes a small dab of it.

Harvey Prince Ageless: After the ordeal with the Kate Spade perfume, I was a little apprehensive to try this. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this little gem smelled amazing. The perfume claims to use technology to make you smell more youthful...I highly doubt that, but it does smell light and fruity. I didn't find this to be a great scent for winter and especially the holidays, but I'm saving it for when the warmer weather strikes up here. It's a perfect, not too heavy scent for those balmy spring/summer days.

Jouer Lip Gloss in Birchbox Pink (not pictured): Okay, this lip gloss isn't pictured due to the fact that it currently resides in one of a million purses packed away in boxes from the move. The gloss looks scary in the tube. It's bright Barbie in the 80's pink. However, once applied it goes on a very sheer rose colored shine. My only complaint about this gloss is the silicone applicator and the stickiness factor. The silicone applicator is designed to do something I'm sure, but I much more prefer the sponge applicator to a hard plastic stick. To me, this gloss felt sticky...and when you have hair that gravitates directly to your lipgloss covered mouth when it's windy... well, that just doesn't work for me.

L'Oreal Professionnel Mythic Oil I have not tried this oil yet. I don't feel the sample size is big enough for all of my hair. However, anyone who comes up to visit me is welcome to test it out and I'll review it based on your experience! (Yes, my shameless plug for getting folks to come to the North to see me.)

Prep Showstoppers Fashion Tape Okay, once upon a time, when J-Lo wore that Versace dress and told the world that she used double sided tape to hold it in place, I thought that it'd be a once and done fashion trend that would disappear quietly...kinda like Hyper color shirts and Day-glo socks. (Okay, I loved Hyper Color and Day-Glo) However, all these years later, it's still going strong and I'm on the bandwagon big time. Now, I don't go around wearing dresses with necklines clear down to my hooha, but I do have some rouge sleeves that like to slip off my shoulders from time to time. I also have some pants that are a bit too long to wear with flats. Enter fashion tape. I love this stuff and I always make sure to have a stash of it. True, you can buy double sided scotch tape cheaper, but I do find that the little fashion strips pack a huge punch and a mighty stick.


All in all it looks like December's box was a win!

FEBRUARY BIRCHBOX



Alrighty...February's review is going to be a bit lukewarm. Although I'm super excited about all the items I got, I can only try 1 of them! Half the items contain Salicylic Acid which is a No-no during pregnancy (which, ironically enough is the time in your life when you're breaking out like you've been washing your face in fry oil and could really USE all that SA to clear it up.) Again, those items will go in the basket and any lucky soul who comes to see me can try it out FO' FREE!

Dermalogica Microfoliant This is a DIY microdermabrasion system that looks fantastic and the powder smells amazing. I really REALLY wish I could give this a try. :(

Eye Rock Designer Eyeliner: If my goal in life was to look like Amy Winehouse, these would be incredible. They are stick on eye liner strips in various styles that you just peel...and, um...stick. However, I'm not sure what size eyes they thought people have because each strip is roughly 3 inches long so there is some trimming involved. If not for the extra work that you have to put into these, I'd give them a try, but in all honesty...by the time I found my scissors and trimmed to the right length...I might as well just use a pencil. Not to mention, can you imagine pulling these off of the delicate skin of your eyelids??? Yeowch!

Jouer Moisturizing Tint This little tube of genius is awesome. It's technically a tinted moisturizer, but the shade I got is a bit too dark for my skin to use all over. However, it makes an incredible highlighter for your cheekbones, brow bones, a dab on your shoulders. And, because it really only takes a little dab, this stuff lasts forever!

Juicy Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum: Another item packed with the goodness that is Salicylic Acid. Apparently a dab of this on blemishes eradicates them. *sigh*

This month's extra was a cute little heart shaped nail file. Aww...


As usual guys...unfortunately nobody pays me to write this blog and these reviews, so these are my honest to goodness opinions and thoughts. Hopefully my January birchbox will surface and I can review that one before March's gets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment