Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Colors of the wind

As I've mentioned before, I've been on a Pinterest kick lately. I have a strong desire to change just about everything, right now. I want to redecorate my house, rebuild my wardrobe, and reorganize my cabinets. With little organizing boxes and baskets and cubes. I find myself pinning a variety of styles and colors. From the subtle and demure to the wild and brazen. In doing this, I've discovered something about myself.

I'm scared to take fashion risks. I'm scared of color. *gasp*

You would never be able to guess by my pinboards. Or, perhaps you can. I do have an impressive array of pins covering all shades of brown. But, I do have some that are funky and fresh and vibrant. A description that hardly describes my style, as much as I'd like. If you were to take a peek into my closet/laundry room, you'd find a lot of black, brown, gray, and white. There is an occasional red top but most of the colors that grace my wardrobe tend to be muted and earthy. Which is a description that very accurately describes me. I mean...even my hippie flower child skirts are drab and uninspired. That's like...the hippie antithesis.

I'm not condoning being untrue to one's self. But, I do think it's important to step out of your comfort zone on occasion. Especially if that style/color/song/etc is really speaking to you. I'd never buy something that wasn't my style just because it's "trendy". In fact, much of what is trendy doesn't hit my closet until it's on the way out. I'm perpetually uncool. I've accepted that. But, what I can't accept is being afraid to take risks on the fashion and decorating front. I mean...it's just clothes, right? It's just hair...paint...art...fill in the blank, right? Absolutely nothing is set in stone and the only true constant is change. So what am I so afraid of?

I'm inclined to think that it's some unconscious fear of attracting attention to myself, but let's be honest. Those who know me...know I'm not the least bit afraid of attention. So, what it all boils down to (my friends...is that everything is just fine, fine, fiiiiine...oh wait. Not doing Alanis Morrissette karaoke?) What it all boils down to, is that I have little confidence in my own artistic translation. Sure, I think a lot of these color and pattern combos I'm pinning are insanely cute. But, I don't think I have the ability to pull it off and I don't think I have the ability to pair things well. I mean, short of buying exactly what's in the picture, I feel I'd be a walking fashion train wreck. And, while, yes I could just buy the outfit...who wants to walk around being a carbon copy of someone else? Not I.

And, while I'm being superficially honest here... my fear of risk doesn't just translate into clothes, but jewelry as well. I love the look of a statement necklace or huge bangles or funky earrings. But, I tend to default there as well. I can walk into Charming Charlies (oh, CC, how I miss you. *tear*) and still find myself selecting typical silver hoop earrings and a delicate chain necklace. In fact, guys, I'm *just* now venturing into gold jewelry. Sick. I know. I also tend to wear my hair and makeup the same way, year after year. (Though, over the last couple of years, I have done some pretty drastic chops on my hair, so that's a start. However, I won't be cutting that much length off at all for a long long time, if ever. I loved the haircuts leaving the salon, but they were just wrong for my lifestyle. I'm not one that styles my hair every single day. These required that. )

So, how do I get over this aversion to the color wheel? Have you ever been stuck in a rut? How did you break free and reinvent yourself? Comment and discuss!

P.S...I know the title of this blog is from a song with a message that is the polar opposite of this blog post. But, those of you who may have read me back in my Myspace blogging days know that I'm a sucker for a well placed song lyric. So deal.





No comments:

Post a Comment